Have you ever wanted to dye your hair a rich bronze shade like Beyonce, Jeniffer Lopez, and many other celebs? In this article, we will discuss everything you need to know about bronze hair color, how to get it, which brands and formulas to try, and how to maintain it.
What is bronze hair color and how does it look like in pictures?
- What is bronze hair color and how does it look like in pictures?
- Golden Bronze Hair Color on Dark Skin and Natural Hair
- How to get Bronze Brown Hair Color
- Bronze Copper Hair Color
- Bronze Hair Color Ideas-Blonde, Light,Medium,Dark, Deep Brown & Honey
- Bronze Hair Color with Highlights
- Ash Bronze Hair Color
- Caramel Bronze Hair Color
- Taking care of your Bronze Hair Color
- Is Bronze same as Ronze?
Bronze hair is very popular hair color that both looks vibrant and natural at the same time. There is a debate whether this is a brown, copper, or blonde color shade but the truth is that it’s something in-between those hues. Just like the natural bronze mineral, it’s a mix of brown and amber with a bit of bright golden undertones.
Bronze hair color suits a variety of skin tones, but it is especially great for:
- Medium skin-tones with golden or pink undertones
- Medium to dark skin tones with bright golden undertones
If your skin is too light, grayish, and yellow (like Asian skin for example) with dark brown eyes, a light bronze hair shade might make you look tired and worn-out.
The rest of the skintones and eye combos will do well with this shade.
Here is a couple of pictures on how bronze color looks in various skintones:
Below is a chart showing from light to medium dark
Golden Bronze Hair Color on Dark Skin and Natural Hair
If you have dark skin and natural afro-american hair it’s possible to achieve this shade with a special DIY kit for natural Afro-American hair. Dark and Lovely’s Permanent Hair Color in shade 379/Golden Bronze is an excellent choice for this purpose. The kit comes with the actual hair dye, a crème developer in an applicator bottle, a conditioner, gloves, and an instruction manual.
Another good and more natural option you could use is Shea Moisture’s line in the shade Dark Golden Blonde. This is a natural no-ammonia and sulphate-free hair dye that contains natural moisturizing and nourishing factors for extra healthy hair whilst you dye it.
In case you have dark high-porosity hair, you might need something stronger than a DIY kit to effectively lighten up your hair evenly. This is because, the main downside with these DIY kits, as with almost all medium –to–light shades, results may come out darker than expected and this seems to be more frequent among those with black afro-hair.
How to get Bronze Brown Hair Color
Bronze brown shades are relatively easy to achieve, especially if you have medium to dark hair and you want to brighten up the shade you already have.
Some good DIY options for most medium brown to medium blonde shades include:
- Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme, 413 Bronze Brown. This is a gorgeous dark bronze shade that works great on all types of natural hair—from the darkest to the lightest.
- L’Oreal Feria line in shade Bronze Shimmer/ 58 1ea. A rich medium bronze shade that looks shimmery and vibrant from multiple lights.
- Clairol Natural Instincts line in shade Navajo Bronze/012A. A neutral dark to medium bronze shade with golden undertones and no copper hues. The formula contains no nasty chemicals like ammonia and peroxide and suits those who are looking for a natural change that is not much lighter than their natural hair color.
The recommendations above are for getting a neutral bronze shade with no obvious hues. If you need something more specific, look up for the rest of the article.
Bronze Copper Hair Color
If you want a warmer, more copperish shade than those discussed above, here are some suggestions:
- Creme of nature bronze copper hair color. This a natural copper bronze shade and formula specially created for dark afro-american hair.
- L’Oreal Preference line in shade 6R Light Brown. A natural medium to light bronze copper shade that is suitable for medium brown to dark blonde hair colors and blue or green eyes.
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful color in shade 42/Medium Auburn. A medium copper shade that compliments ideally most skin tones as it doesn’t look neither too light nor too dark.
- Garnier Nutrisse line in shade 54/medium natural copper. A rick medium natural copper shade with warm brown undertones that looks great in all skin tones.
Bronze Hair Color Ideas-Blonde, Light,Medium,Dark, Deep Brown & Honey
Ideas on how to get;
Bronze Blonde Hair color
Bronze blonde is a bit tricky to get as it requires a certain amount of lifting up to three shades from your natural dark hair color.
Some good bronze blonde shades are:
- L’oreal Paris 6.3 Light Golden brown. This a gold bronze shade with neutral undertones—perfect for those with fair or light to medium skin, green or hazel eyes, and peachy skin undertones.
- Garnier Nutrisse 6.23.If you want a really impressive bronze blonde shade with neutral to ashy undertones, this shade is perfect.
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color in shade Lightest Golden Brown. A brightening bronze shade that plays among the hues of golden blonde and suits those with pink and medium golden undertones.
Light & Medium Bronze Brown Hair Color
Light and medium bronze shades are suitable for those that already have golden undertones in their hair and have green, hazel, or blue eyes.
Here is a suggestion of specific shades for this category:
L’Oreal Excellence cream in shade 5G/Medium Golden Brown.
Revlon Colorsilk line in shade no57/Lightest Golden Brown.
The above shades have neutral undertones and suit a wide variety of skin tones and eye combinations.
Dark & Deep Bronze Brown Hair Color
Dark and deep bronze shades are suitable for those with dark hair and dark eyes that just want to brighten up their natural dark hair color. Some home-kit suggestions for this shade:
Garnier Nutrisse in shade 554/Medium Chestnut Brown.
Clairol Natural Instincts in shade 20/Medium brown.
Honey Bronze Brown Hair Color
Honey bronze shades suit a wide variety of skin tones as they are brightening enough without being too exaggerating. Some DIY coloring kit ideas for this shade include:
L’Oreal Excellence Cream in Honey Brown.
Garnier Nutrisse in B3 Golden Brown.
Bronze Hair Color with Highlights
If you want to get some natural highlights or lowlights to enhance your bronze shade, you can use a DIY kit specially crafted for adding natural honey blonde highlights. Some good kits for this purpose include:
- L”Oreal preference glam lights kit in GL50-Medium Brown to Dark Brown. This is a new modern kit that features everything you need for getting that subtle yet brightening and natural highlight effect: a crème developer, a mixing powder, a lifting cream, and a special highlight comb that combs through the mixture in spots to get that nicely blended highlight look.
- Garnier Nutrisse Highlights in Warm Bronze #Η Α full highlight kit that for getting natural bronze highlights for complementing ideally and brightening your dark bronze color. The kit also contains a conditioning treatment for added nourishment and glow enhancement.
- In case you want to add bronze blonde lowlights to your dark hair and get that famous ombre look, you could use kits like L’Oreal Preference Ombre Touch in shade 0T4 (medium to darkest hair).
Note: Keep in mind that any DIY highlight kits are designed for home use and have weaker results than professional hair dyes—that means, they can’t light your hair more than 2 shades from scratch unless you bleach them or lift them gradually.
Ash Bronze Hair Color
Ash Bronze hair color is suited for those who those with ruddy complexions who want to calm down the redness of their skin and balance things out. This is the coolest shade of bronze and it’s best to avoid it if you have cool yellow skin and don’t want to look washed out.
Suggested DIY home kit shades:
- Garnier Nutrisse in shade 72/Dark Beige Blonde
- Revlon Colorsilk in shade #40 Medium Ash Brown
- Clairol Balsam Color in shade604A/Dark Ash Blonde
Caramel Bronze Hair Color
If you want to experiment with a warmer shade of bronze that will bring out and brighten the warm skin undertones of your face, caramel bronze is a great idea. Here are some DIY home coloring kit suggestions:
- L’Oreal Excellence Cream in shade 6CB/Light Chestnut Brown (a light caramel shade with neutral undertones)
- Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color in shade B4/Caramel Chocolate (a light to medium warm caramel shade with copper undertones)
- L’oreal Feria line in shade 58/Bronze Shimmer (a very light caramel shade with shimmering finish).
Taking care of your Bronze Hair Color
Bronze hair color doesn’t require any specialty hair color products e.g. like in the case of red hair shades but if you want to maintain its vibrancy and rich bronze hues, general color care products and treatments for gloss should be ideal. Some products you could try for maintaining a vibrant bronze shade:
- Redken Color Extend in Color Rich
- Aveeno Living Color Shine Enhance
- Aveda Color Conserve Strengthening Treatment
- John Frieda Brilliant Brunette Shampoo and Conditioner
- Tigi Color Goddess Shampoo and Conditioner
- Schwarzkopf BC Color Save Treatment
Is Bronze same as Ronze?
Bronze hair color should never be confused with Ronze hair color. They are different. According to Susan Roberts-Copper, an Award-winning hair color expert—and Director of Research & Development for Madison Reed, “ronze is a catchy way of describing the combination of red and bronze hair color. This trend has been around for a while, but is just now getting into the mainstream. It is an offshoot of the Mad Men character Christina’s coppery red hair, which can be a bit difficult to wear“