Have you tried ash blonde hair dye? If not, you are missing out on good hair color ideas that can warm up your looks. You can choose from different shades such as medium, light and dark blonde color shades as well as from out list of the best ash blonde hair dyes we have listed. Now, did you know Marylyn Monroe was not a natural blonde? Well, now you know and what’s more is that I am going to teach you how to get ash blonde hair dye at home and black hair, red hair and even brown hair.
In ancient Rome, women dyed their hair to blonde using pigeon dung! Yes, that’s right. Thank goodness we do not live in that age. With the many brands of hair extensions and dye brands on the market, you can get any hair color shade easily. You can get these inexpensively from Walmart or Walgreens. But what is the best blonde hair dye to buy? Here’s my list of the top 5 quality picks for you.
Best Ash Blonde Hair Dye
- Best Ash Blonde Hair Dye
- Light Ash Blonde Hair Color
- Dark Ash Blonde Hair Color and Best Brands
- Medium Ash Blonde Hair Dye
- How to Get Ash Blonde Hair (from Black, Orange, Yellow, Brown Hair)
- Ash Blonde Hair Dye on Black Hair and Brown Hair
- Ash Blonde Hair Dye on Red Hair
What is the best ash blonde hair dye kit? We have seen celebrities wear ash blonde hair extensions or color their hair to get different shades of blonde they think suits them. Julianne Hough’s hair color idea of light ash blonde is great. The question is, which product are these models and actresses using to change dark brown hair to their preferred shades of blonde? Here are some of the industry’s top quality products.
- L’Oreal Superior Preference Dream Blonde Hair Color, 7A Dark Ash Blonde
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Dark Ash Blonde 60 1
- Garnier Nutrisse Radiant Blondes (7.31 Dark Golden Ash Blonde)
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color Permanent Hair Color, 60 Dark Ash Blonde
- Herbatint Permanent Herbal Haircolour Gel 6C Darker shade
- Clairol Natural Instincts Non-Permanent Hair Color, 10 Sandalwood
According to user reviews and testimonials, these are highly rated for specific reasons that users thought suit them. For example, the L’Oreal Superior Preference product kit comes not only as a dye but also with a shampoo and conditioner. Great instructions on how to get ash blonde hair with this product are also attached, making it easy for just about anyone to get their dream hair at home. Be careful, however, when choosing a product that will suit you. Make sure you go for the ammonia-free ones. Now, which shade will look good on you? Light, dark or medium?
Light Ash Blonde Hair Color
Does your hair look light or medium blonde? Does it have grey strands and natural grey highlights? Do you see red and orange undertones in your hair? Well, you can easily fix all these problems if you go with ash blonde hair dyes. With the right choice of the best light ash blonde hair color, you will need just a single application that will last long. All you will need is to do root-retouch to cover your natural hair color as it grows.
Be careful not to choose blindly because you need to know how the shade will look on your skin tone. For example, will light ash blonde hair color on brown hair look good? What is the lightest ash blonde color shade you can wear? We have answered these questions in other guides for choosing hair colors for olive skin, fair skin, and dark skin, and also eye colors. You can see pictures for more illustrations on the choices. So, what brands are the best that you should choose from? Here are the top rated ones according to reviews on durability and color intensity.
- Excellence Crème Hair Dye, Light Ash Blonde 9.1
- L’Oreal Paris Excellence Pro-Keratin light ash blonde color
- Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Root Touch-Up Hair Color, Light Ash Blonde 9A
- Revlon Luxurious Colorsilk Buttercream Hair Color, 03G Ultra Light Sun
- Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color Permanent Hair Color, 05 Ultra Light Ashy blonde
If you have problems choosing, a color chart can always come in handy. Most of these manufacturers of hair tints provide charts for selecting hues that will suit your natural hair. And remember, a good kit should not only be ammonia free but also condition your hair nicely, give it the natural glow or shine, and keep it well moisturized.
Dark Ash Blonde Hair Color and Best Brands
The main reason for choosing dark ash blonde hair dye or just about any ash hair color is that you do not like the golden colors such as orange and yellow. Basically, you do not want warm tones in your hair maybe because they clash with your eye color or skin tone. You can actually wear dark ash blonde hair dye on black hair, on brown hair and even dark brown. There are many brands to choose from out there, if you do not want to go with extensions or toners, so here is a list of the best dark ashy blonde hair color.
- Revlon Dark Ash Blonde
- Revlon Colorsilk Dark Ash Blonde 60
- LO’real Dark Ash Blonde Preference 7A
- Garnier Belle Color Ease 7.1 Natural Dark Ash Blonde
The biggest brands with high quality reviews are Revlon and LO’real Paris and Revlon. According to HairInterest, frosty blonde hair colors can be very flattering for women with cool skin tones or pale complexions. You can try this on with some richly pink lipstick and metallic eyeshadows.
Note that brands such as LO’real Preference 7A will work well for women with cool skin tones. So, if you find that you have a warm toned skin, avoid this shade. I particularly found this useful for girls with too many red tones in their hair. It is just the perfect product to neutralize red undertones in hair.
Now, if you want to know how to get natural dark ash blonde hair, then Garnier Belle Color Ease 7.1 Natural Dark Ash Blonde is your product. It is highly rated quick permanent ash blonde hair dye. It also covers grey hair with a 100 percent result, plus you will get a radiant, natural looking blonde hair. Most reviews were positive about this product and most users actually credited it for its hair care conditioning power that is enriched with argan oil.
Medium Ash Blonde Hair Dye
Medium ash hair color looks good on women with cool skin tones and complexions. This will be good for complementing your eye colors, especially if they are hazel colored, brown eyes and even blue eyes. With this shade, you can have some highlights or lowlights if you want to create some streaks of contrast. Here are the best brands of medium ash blonde dyes to buy.
- Revlon ColorSilk Beautiful Color Hair Color, 70 Medium Ash
- L’Oreal Paris Excellence Creme Triple Protection Hair Color, 7-1/2A Cooler Medium Ash
The LO’real one has a superior gray hair coverage and is known to protect fragile hair while producing a perfectly medium ash blonde color that is rich and even. It also “deep-treats your hair after and in-between coloring. Protects your hair until the next coloring.” According to reviews, it works well on dark hair and also on brown and yellow hair.
How to Get Ash Blonde Hair (from Black, Orange, Yellow, Brown Hair)
How do you get ash blonde hair from orange, yellow, from black, brown or red hair? Can you get light ash blonde after bleaching hair? Is it possible to get super ashy blonde without bleach at home? Well, these are all the kind of questions I have been getting lately. As I had said earlier, one of the primary purposes of going ashy blonde, or sometimes dirty blonde is to get rid of the brassy tones in your hair. Therefore, with the right procedure and a good product, you can easily get it at home without green.
Some people simply bleach dark hair and also brown hair to get some white or simply make their hair blonde. Well, if you bleach your hair, you will definitely get the best results. Bleached hair will leave your dye looking vibrant, natural and shiny since there will be no base colors interfering with it. In addition to this, you won’t have problems of fading or pigment interfering with your new outlook. However, the only problem with this is that color-retouching on the newly grown roots will not work so perfectly to the shade you want unless you bleach them too. That said, here’s a quick procedure on how to get ash blonde hair at home for people with medium to dark brown hair.
- Start off with a level 20 peroxide and then use a regular bleaching color
- Mix one part of bleaching powder and one part the peroxide
- Mix thoroughly to ensure you get rid of all the lumps in the mixture
- When the mixture becomes a semi-thick consistency, use your applicator brush to apply the mixture to the roots
- Ensure you just do the roots only and maintain consistency
- Tie up your hair nicely to prevent the mixture from bleaching the tips
- Wear a cap and allow to sit for an hour in order to get the desired level of blonde without damaging your hair
- Wash your hair and dry it up
- Go ahead and use a level 10 with dyes in order to place the color. You can use a light ash blonde
- Mix the dye in one part and the second part the peroxide
- Whip to get a semi-thick consistency
- Repeat the steps 3-8 above with this mixture
- Do the last steps in the shower
- Use a purple semi-permanent dye (this acts as a toning dye). This will help you get the extra ashy blonde color to your hair
- Mix it with a conditioner because you don’t want to get a purple tint to your hair. After applying, you will get the perfect ash blonde hair color that is suitable for you.
Here’s a video to help you with the steps (courtesy of BiiBiiBeauty on YouTube – from which the procedure above was adapted). Note: There are many methods of doing this, and this is just one of them.[youtube id=”sU09qQ6cBkY” width=”600″ height=”340″ position=”center”]
Ash Blonde Hair Dye on Black Hair and Brown Hair
How would light ash blonde look on dark hair and brown hair? Can you go from black to blonde or from dark brown hair to ashy blonde? Well you can and the best way to go blonde for people with black and brown hair is by choosing to settle on either medium or dark ash blonde. This is more of a gradual and managed shift that will work well for brunettes.
- If you have black hair or brown hair, consider bleaching your hair first before dyeing it ash blonde
- The process of changing your hair color will be best managed at the salon than at home even though you can buy cheap drugstore blonde hair dyes.
Ash Blonde Hair Dye on Red Hair
If you are a fan of DIY hair dyeing at home, then you might be familiar with ash blonde hair dye on red hair, or turning hair red. The main reason for using such a dye is to remove the brassy look that your hair might be coming with naturally, or if you have used too much warm colors for a long time. If you keep having this problem, go to the salon to have it fixed without damaging your hair. That said, you can use this ash blonde on red hair (if you are a redhead) too and turn it to the blonde you like.
Something worth noting with ash hair color is that you are likely to get a greenish tinge that you might not like at all. This is common with girls who swim a lot especially in swimming pools that are chemically treated. Your hair will oxidize from the absorption of the chemical treatments and you will end up with the green tinge. So, how do you fix this?
Bella Capelli Hairstyles recommends that you get rid of the green tinge using a “color shampoo with a gold (warm color tone) and not an ash color.” As a precaution, Chlorine is something you should avoid when you color your hair blonde.
More Photos for Ash Blonde Hair Ideas
Here are more photos to help you with ash blonde hair color ideas if you want to look flattering.