Monistat 7 is an approved over-the-counter topical application that is used to treat fungal infections, especially on parts of the body with sensitive skin. Due to its continued use, some curious folks seem to have discovered that it can be useful in treating some hair conditions.
Based on anecdotal evidence, applying monistat on the scalp can improve scalp health while stimulating fast hair growth. Read on for details on how it works, how to use it, and ideas on what to mix it with plus before and after pictures.
How does Monistat work for Hair?
- How does Monistat work for Hair?
- How to use Monistat for Hair Growth & Scalp Health
- What can I Mix with Monistat 7 for Hair Growth?
- Side Effects of using Monistat for Hair & Scalp
- Monistaf 7 Hair Growth Before and After Pictures +Reviews
The active ingredient in monistat is miconazole nitrate, an antifungal agent that is believed to reduce the hair loss receptors in the scalp. In this connection, this would consequently promote hair growth.
Since it is approved for use on some of the most sensitive skin on your body, it is most likely safe for your scalp.
Although there are currently no studies that agree or disagree that Monistat on its own can help with hair growth, clinical tests done on a similar antifungal agent (ketoconazole) have shown positive results.
Besides being antifungal agents, both miconazole and ketoconazole also have a similar chemical structure. These similarities, coupled with anecdotal proof, are the main reasons why most individuals use it for hair.
In addition, the active ingredient in the product, which is Miconazole Nitrate, is not only an effective anti-fungal cream, it also comes with the following benefits;
It also helps regulate the balance ratio of scalp flora preventing dysbiosis. Dysbiosis has been evaluated for its ability to cause hair loss and slow the growth of hair.
Looking at its antifungal properties, it is effective in seborrheic dermatitis. This type of dermatitis may cause slow hair growth and hair loss. It is therefore useful in treating Malassezia colonization on the scalp.
It has some anti-inflammatory activity as also seen with 2% ketoconazole. Inflammation results in a breach of the integrity of the dermal papillae of the scalp from which follicles sprout. The end result of its application is increased hair growth.
Most experts, including dermatologists and trichologists, recommend monistat for those only dealing with fungal infections on the scalp. They do not recommend this cream for hair loss treatment since there are better and proven options.
How to use Monistat for Hair Growth & Scalp Health
You can use monistat 7 cream for hair either by applying it directly to your hair or you can mix it with other ingredients.
How to apply pure monistat directly to hair and scalp
- Put on latex gloves to protect your hands
- Apply Monistat straight from the tube to your scalp, the same way you apply a mask.
- Let it sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water.
What can I Mix with Monistat 7 for Hair Growth?
For better results, you mix monistat with several ingredients including water, natural oils such as extra virgin olive, castor, grape seed, or jojoba oil. Essential oils can also add fragrance to the mixture. Following are the recipes.
Monistat mixed with water
- Dilute Monistat in water using a 1:1 ratio.
- Shake well.
- Before bedtime, use a spray bottle to coat your scalp in the mixture.
- Sleep with a shower cap over your scalp.
- Rinse well in the morning.
Monistat Mixed with Natural Oils
All you an essential/essential oil your choice, a bowl and the cream
- Mix the ingredients in a bowl.
- Squeeze the entire tube of Miconazole Nitrate into a bowl.
- Add one ounce of your natural oil and ten drops of your chosen essential oil.
- You can add more drops of the essential oil until you achieve a fragrance saturation that pleases you.
- Apply your Miconazole Nitrate mix to your scalp.
- Section your hair, lightly apply the Miconazole Nitrate mixture and massage it into your scalp.
- Repeat one to two times a week. The Miconazole Nitrate mixture may make your hair oily, which will weigh it down.
- Counter this by washing your hair more frequently. Use a moisturizing shampoo or conditioner.
Monistat and Blue Magic for Hair Growth
Blue magic hair shampoo and conditioners can also work with monistat. The shampoo and conditioners work well on all hair types. The products contain natural herbs that melt into the hair and scalp, repairing split ends and preventing hair breakage.
Monistat for Thick Hair Recipe
What do you need?
- 1 tube of Monistat 7
- At least 1 ounce each of two carrier oils such as coconut oil, olive oil or castor oil
- Plastic applicator bottle
- Mix one tube of Monistat 7 with the carrier oils. Pour the mix into the applicator bottle.
- Use a comb to part your hair into four sections for easy application.
- Shake the mix of Monistat 7 and the carrier oils before applying it to your hair. Tilt the bottle and hold it to your scalp.
- Gently squeeze bottle to apply to desired areas. Massage it into your scalp and style your hair as desired.
Monistat for Black Hair Growth
For black hair, you first need to section your hair by making it apart from the ear to ears across the top of your head.
Ponytail the back of your head in order to keep it out of way during your application. You do not have to apply Monistat at the back of your head.
Squeeze a tiny amount of monistat on your forefinger and then apply it directly to the scalp and rub it in very well.
Ensure you dub at the base of your hairline in front of your ears in case it is so thin. Let it sit and rinse after 15 minutes.
Side Effects of using Monistat for Hair & Scalp
When administered topically, itching, burning and rash have been reported. Contact dermatitis, confirmed by patch testing, has been reported. Nervous system side effects as well have rarely included headache.
More side effects include:
- Red inflamed areas on application site
- Tender and sensitive spots on scalp
- Increased shedding that sometimes subsides, sometimes not
- Ringing in ears
- General “not feeling right”
There are some signs and symptoms that should prompt you to terminate future drug use when they appear. They include extreme shedding of hair after stopping use of Miconazole Nitrate. You should seek medical attention as soon as possible.
- Don’t leave undiluted Monistat in hair overnight.
- Completely wash out monistat from your hair before styling.
- Miconazole nitrate comes with some drying effects. A moisturizer or oil may be necessary after the application.
Monistaf 7 Hair Growth Before and After Pictures +Reviews
Following are reviews and before after photos of Monistat users from all around the internet
A review by Lookitsaram on
I have never written a review before. I usually just read reviews and go on with my life. But after using Monistat on my hair for a month now, I HAD to write a review. My hair usually grows about 1/2 an inch per month. I have seriously seen about 3 inches of growth after using this.
Here’s how I use it:
I bought the generic brand from Walgreens (same ingredients and much cheaper) I had a left over NYX “dewy face” something face mister that I used up, so I decided to use the spray bottle for the monistat. I squeeze about a dime size (maybe a bit more) into the spray bottle and then I had warm/hot water to the bottle and shake it up. I do about three parts water per 1 part cream.
I then spray it all over my hair. I found that this is the best way to evenly get it all over my scalp. I have tried to just directly apply the cream to my scalp, but it makes my hair way too greasy. A couple of people claimed that this gave them a headache.
I definitely got a headache the first time I did it, but that was when I applied the cream directly to my scalp and I think I applied too much. This is seriously a lifesaver. I also started using the “not your mother’s, way to grow” shampoo. I think the two together has really helped my hair.
A review by ensayles
I’ll have to update this review later with actual numbers, but I can tell you that this works! I actually kept track of my hair growth for a few months on a ruler and it made a HUGE difference! My hair generally doesn’t grow practically at all, so I bought this stuff (the generic version from Walmart) and put maybe 1/4 of an inch of it in the bottom of a travel spray bottle and filled it up with water–then shook and shook and shook.
I spray it on my scalp starting with my part, then sliding my finger an inch or so below that and separating that hair for 2 or 3 sprays, and work my way down each side of my head like that. I do it every morning whether or not I washed my hair (I only wash every 3rd day…very dry hair!) There’s no smell and I get no tingly sensation that I notice. I hear it actually stays active for up to 3 days but since I dilute mine with water I feel better reapplying daily.
A review by karadownthehill
This is an amazing product for hair growth! I use the generic brand from Walgreens. I massage a teeny-tiny pea sized amount into my scalp when my hair is damp before I blow-dry my hair, and the day after I’ll put another small amount into my scalp.
I make sure I put a small amount in so that it doesn’t make my hair greasy. The night before a wash, I mix this up with castor oil and rub it into my scalp. I’ve been doing this along with taking biotin and mane n tail shampoo. I think that the monistat has really been helping. My scalp feels so tingly whenever I use it! I already see small, new baby hairs coming out of my parting, and my hair feels so much fuller and thick. My hair has grown about 1/2 inch in two weeks, so that is about an inch per month? My hair normally grows about 1/2 inch per month. Hopefully my hair will be long soon enough! Only a few more inches.
From the above reviews, it is quite clear that if you use this cream for your hair, it is no doubt that you are going to enjoy the full benefits of increased hair growth, fast hair growth and more to that, reduced hair loss.