Dealing with Two/Multiple Hairs in One Follicle(Pili Multigemini)
Two or more strands of hair originating from a single hair follicle can be a strange phenomenon for some people. While it is not a life-threatening condition, there is a lot that you may want to learn about it.
Many hairs in one follicle may appear on your scalp, underarms, pubic area and on legs especially after shaving, waxing. Genetics and scarring are the primary causes and basic hair removal methods can get rid of it. Read on for details.
Multiple Hair in One Follicle-Meaning, Photos of how it looks like
Pili multigemini is the name of the condition when many hair fibers bunch together and then emerge from the skin through one hair canal. This condition also goes by the names “compound hair follicles” and pili bifurcati.
Pili multigemini is derived from the names pili and mutigemini. Pili is the plural form of pilus, which is a term derived from Latin, meaning hair or a hair-like structure associated with bacterial adhesion and related to bacterial colonization and infection.
Pili are shorter pilin filaments that extend from the cytoplasmic membrane and are responsible for bacterial adherence and the transmission of non-chromosomal genetic material like plasmids. Multigemini refers to the fact that there are multiple hair shafts derived from a single follicle.
The condition often occurs during the anagen phase of hair growth, where the base of the hair follicle plumps up like an onion and starts building the hair.
It is easy to identify this condition. The multiple hairs appear like the stems of a flower or like a bunch of flower stalks in a vase. It’s when a hair seems to have Siamese-twinned itself, and now two hairs (or even several more) grow from one single follicle. Below is a photo of what multiple hairs from one follicle look like.
If you are a man, you may have spotted strange-looking hair on your chin during your shaving routine. Unlike the rest of your facial hair, this one appears particularly gnarly. It is particularly thick and if you have managed to pluck it out, you discover that it is actually a clump of lesser hairs all joined and sprouting from the same pore.
It commonly happens in male beard hair and on kid’s scalps. Women have also experience the disorder in the armpits, area around the breasts, the legs, and pubic area.
Why are there Two Hairs in One Follicle?
Researchers have not found the actual reason behind the several hairs in a single follicle, but there appear to be some possible causes including genetics and scarring.
The theories of two hairs from one Pore
The hair strands are normally growing apart at the start but as people get old their roots merge together. The hair follicle and also its root then merge with another one thus ending up with two hairs and one follicle.
As it grows out of the said root, the papilla can split into many separate cuticles at the time that it is coming out of the canal.
Regrowth of the embryonic cells together at the root leads to the merging of roots. Regrowth due to the roots are much close together. Unfortunately, this particular theory does not explain why the condition is common amongst people from some regions.
Another theory explains that it is brought about by the inflammation of the scalp. Inflammation of scalp leads to scarring which causes the dissecting of the root which leads them to join.
Inflammation of scalp thus makes the condition to be noticeable, especially in the beard region of men, kids’ scalps and shaved armpits and legs of women.
Scalp inflammation also affects the root of the hair and also thus brings them very much close together, therefore, leading to the condition.
The root canals are also brought together and then join. As the new hair grows out of the root appears then as two hairs one follicle but later splits into separate cuticles.
Pain, Itching and other Pili Multigemini Effects
Compound hair follicles can cause pain and itching around the affected area. Ibuprofen or similar over-the-counter medication may help relieve the pain. Certain essential oils, such as lavender or rosemary, can help heal sores that may be causing scalp pain. Apple cider vinegar, tea tree, peppermint and organic coconut oils can help in reducing the itchiness
It may lead to a condition known as folliculitis which is an inflammation of the hair follicle. It is usually caused by bacterial or fungal infection or as a result of pili multigemini.
It may result in the development of white-headed or reddish painful pustules that resemble acne around the hair follicles. When they’re related to shaving, they’re known as razor bumps.
The infection can spread and turn into non-healing, crusty sores when left untreated. Folliculitis usually goes away on its own, but if the infection increases, it may need to be treated by a doctor.
It is also a great risk of getting ingrown hair. If the condition develops to an ingrown hair, apply warm compresses to the area for 10–15 minutes several times a day. You can also apply an antiseptic solution, such as tea tree oil, to the area to prevent infection
How to Get Rid of Multiple Hairs in one Follicle
While some people are not in any way bothered with having multiple in a single follicle other people find it quite uncomfortable. As mentioned earlier, it can lead to an infection. Here are some ways to deal with it:
Tweezing them out is a cheap option, but because these hairs take up more space, some people may find it more unpleasant than typical hairs to tweeze. There is no indication that plucking will stop the same type of hair from growing back again in that place.
Most people will choose to tweeze because it is cheap, and you can also do it to yourself if the affected area is not large.
It is a simple and quick process; all you need is a mirror, a soothing cream and a pair of slanted tweezers, which have a flat end making them great for plucking hair
- Make your skin receptive to plucking.
- Stand in front of your mirror then pluck the hairs with the tweezers
- Soothe your skin to get rid of any pain, redness, and inflammation that might occur.
Advantages of tweezing
- Plucking hairs can damage the base of the follicle and can help reduce the growth of hair shafts
- It is cheap, and you can do it on your own at home,
Disadvantages of tweezing
The plucking of multigemini hairs is the most painful method of treating pili multigemini.
Plucking the hair seems very difficult as the hair fibers are deep-rooted and difficult to extract
Lastly, tweezing of hair does not stop hair growth. It will grow back again!
Shaving is very much helpful in reduction of the multiple hair cuticle growth and equally stops all the infections to the hair root.
The hairs may thus be shaved off when they grow, but again this is considered as only a temporary solution.
Shaving can also cause ingrown hairs and is sometimes listed as one of the causes of multiple hairs in one follicle.
- Shaving has been said to assist in reduction of the folliculitis and other hair follicle infections.
- You may shave the region where a person has been largely affected or even the entire hair.
- A razor does a decent job and also leaves the skin looking smoother.
Laser hair removal
Consider laser hair removal if you want a longer-lasting remedy (LHR). Laser hair removal damages hair follicles with light pulses, causing them to create less hair. Before going for laser removal, there are some conditions that you should follow.
- Avoid exposure to the sun for six weeks before and after treatment. Sun exposure makes laser hair removal less effective and makes complications after treatment more likely.
- Also, avoid plucking hair or hair tweezing and electrolysis for six weeks before treatment. That is because the laser targets the hairs’ roots, which are temporarily removed by waxing or plucking.
- Laser hair removal works by using laser which is attracted by the melanin in the hair. When a laser is pulsed on the skin light is absorbed into the shaft and then heat is transferred into the hair follicle. The heat is then directed to the base of the follicle where it heats and disables the interconnecting cells that connect the small blood supply to the hair therefore preventing any more hair growth.
Disadvantages of laser hair treatment
There are certain disadvantages to laser hair removal:
- The treatment is expensive and is most likely considered by those who are well-off.
- Furthermore, you experience a lot of discomfort and irritation when undertaking this process.
- The other disadvantage is that the number of treatments required are, let’s say, quite a lot compared to tweezing which just needs one visit.
- Another hazard of laser hair removal is eventual hair regrowth which might not please you since the cost was high, and now you will have to repeat it again.
- Lastly, there is also the danger of skin color changes.
When laser hair removal is correct, there are incredible benefits and outcomes.
- It leads to a permanent reduction in hair development, and therefore hair regeneration is unlikely.
- Additionally, there should be no risk of skin color alteration when LHR is performed properly by a board trained dermatologist.
- The other advantage of laser hair removal is that lasers can selectively target dark, coarse hairs while leaving the surrounding skin undamaged.
For you to get proper care and treatment of pili multigemini using the LHR method, visit a professional and qualified dermatologist for the best results.
Laser hair removal may not be as successful for persons with very light-colored hair because it only works on hairs that contain a dark pigment. Due to this, the light hair does not contain enough pigment for the laser rays to absorb hence electrolysis is suitable for them. Electrolysis is a method of removing individual hairs from the face or body.
A dermatologist uses an epilator to inject radio waves into your hair follicle, which destroys its capacity to develop hair. He or she inserts a very fine probe into the hair follicle and then uses the tweezers to remove the hair.
Treatment involves multiple sessions, similar to laser hair removal. There are generally no permanent side effects, but occasionally a temporary, slight swelling and reddening of the skin may occur.
Furthermore, the discoloration in the treated areas. The Food and Drug Administration classifies Electrolysis as a permanent hair removal treatment but infection and scarring are possible side effects.
How to Prevent Multiple Hairs from One Pore
Following are tips to prevent pili multigemini
- Use gentle skin products for skin – Lotions, conditioners and some soaps are able to irritate the skin leading to inflammations. Skin inflammation can be able to trigger the condition and it is very much wise to ensure that we protect ourselves.
- Exfoliate two to three times a week-this is the process of removing dead skin from the outer layer or your skin, often with the help of grainy substances, exfoliating tools or chemicals. This helps keep your hair follicles clear and healthy. It also helps in unclogging the clogged strands of hair.
- Keep hair short – Keeping the hair short assists much as it doesn’t add any excess weight to hair follicles. Weight of hair also causes the joining of hair cells. Hair growing in very new regions should thus be kept very short as it can reduce chances of the condition happening.
- Clean with warm water – This usually reduces the chances of blocking the hair pores. Visiting of the steam room or even a sauna can assist to the pores hence reduction of the chances of two hairs one follicle. Ducts blockage normally leads to this conditions.
- Try reduction of the frequent hair treatments. Keep a lot of hair treatments to its minimum. This includes heat tools, heavy hard brushing, hair dyes, and also the permanent solutions. These may be very rough on skin of the scalp and also the hair follicles.
- Avoid isotretinoin. This medication and also the acitretin are normally used in treatment of acne and also the aging skin. They might also disrupt the function of hair follicles and should thus only be used if absolutely vital.
- Avoid sun. When you go in the sun, ensure to keep the head covered. Sunlight and also the sunburns may be very much damaging to hair follicles. Also increased sweating is able to block the ducts and cause infections.
- Shave only when your hair and skin are wet. This is because water softens the area making the skin warn and moist and free of excess oil and dead skin cells. Wet hair is easy to shave as compared to dry hair which just breaks down causing bruises.
- Shave in the direction that your hair naturally grows. Shaving along the grain prevents risk of skin irritation and razor bumps.
- Use a sharp, clean razor.
- Rinse your blades often as you shave this is so as to prevent infection or spread infection.
- Allow your razor to dry completely between shaves to prevent bacterial growth.
Natural Hair Removal
While you might not permanently do away with body hair, the methods indicated below might be highly effective to assist in your struggle to keep the body hair under control.
Papaya is much more than tropical fruit. It’s normally packed with a lot of vitamins, minerals, and a specific enzyme known as the papain.
Papain assists much to break down the hair follicles, thus slowing down the hair re-growth rate. Not only can it be able to deal with hairs that are currently sprouting from follicles, but it is able to delay the return of body hair.
The best thing on papaya is that it’s very nourishing for the skin, and can be used even to people with very sensitive skin. It’s a beautiful exfoliating substance that can do away with body hair as it gives nutrients to the skin.
Papaya Remedy option 1:
For the remedy, you will require: Raw papaya and Raw turmeric root
- Using a knife, peel and chop the papaya into very small cubes.
- Using a fork, mash the cubes into thick, juicy papaya pulp.
- Grate a knuckle-sized raw turmeric root by use of the smallest holes.
- This is able to provide with zest-sized pieces, which can be mixed into papaya pulp.
- Mix the pulp well so as to ensure that the turmeric is very well absorbed, and use the paste to body parts that has unwanted hair.
- Gently massage the pulp into the skin, and let it stay for up to 30 minutes.
- Once the time has already passed, rinse the pulp from skin by use of warm water.
There might be some yellowing of skin (due to the turmeric), but it eventually fades about 5 days.
This is a remedy to repeat the process twice a week. Once the body hair has already lightened, you can shave or even wax. Give the skin a day so as to recover, then use the mixture once more. Keep using it regularly, and you might not have to worry much about waxing or even shaving for a long period of time
Papaya Remedy option 2:
For this particular remedy, you will require:
- Raw papaya
- Turmeric powder
- Aloe vera
- Mustard oil
- Moisturizing cream
Crush half a cup of papaya into a very thick pulp, and then mix half a tablespoon each of gram flour and also some turmeric powder. Add two tablespoons of mustard oil, 4 tablespoons of aloe vera, and a few drops of peppermint oil.
Apply the mixture to the skin, and let it then dry. After about 30 minutes, rinse it off using warm water. This can assist to lighten the body hair and also prevent hair follicles from re-growing.
After the skin has completely dried, you should then use a natural moisturizing cream so as to reduce dryness as well as protection of the skin.
Turmeric is a potent root that makes a delicious addition to curries, sauces, and stews, but it’s also loaded with a powerful antioxidant called curcumin. Curcumin assists in the reduction of inflammation, fight bacteria, and also keeping of the skin healthy.
You may also apply turmeric in either raw or even powder form, depending on availability.
Turmeric Remedy option 1:
For this particular remedy for two hairs one follicle, you will require:
- Turmeric powder
- Sesame oil and also
- Gram flour
Mix a tablespoon that is full of turmeric powder with an equal amount of gram flour, stir well so as to combine. Pour in the oil until you obtain a very thick paste. Using the fingers, use the paste to the areas that have unwanted body hair.
Let the mixture dry for about 30 minutes before rinsing off using warm water. Use a gentle scrubbing motion so as to do away with the paste, and a bit of hair will then come off. You might repeat the process once weekly so as to deal with the two hairs one follicle problem.
Has anyone tested if it may come from semen, both male and female, as it may be due to the growth of pre-embrionic cells?
I’ve got em all around my giblets maybe it is because I’ve shaven roughly a few times. It hasn’t happened to me before those rough shaves down town.
Hi, you think it’s because of shaving?
Doesn’t shaving just make your skin smooth hiding hair to sight and touch? That I know shaving doesn’t make multiple hair better, at most just inconsequential, some who believe it’s shaving which causes them, suggest to just keep shaving.