Home Remedies for Thicker Hair-Thicken Naturally from Roots
You are looking for home remedies for thicker hair because you are tired of thin and fine hair down from the roots. Thick hair makes you look fabulous, it will help hide bald spots and of course it is the best for braids. Read on to find out why your hair not growing thicker and volume nous , best home remedies plus more tips & ideas your mane
What makes your Hair Thin, Fine and Weak from Roots?
Why is my hair not thick enough? There are wide causes of thin hair and they include:
Genetic causes that is handed down from a parent
The thickness of hair varies from person to another in a particular generation. The genes of an individual influence the characteristic of hair follicles which are the stems from which hair grows.
The thickness and texture of your hair depends on the size and shape of these follicles. Your hair thickness results from a combination of both the size of the follicles themselves and how many of them line your scalp. The size of the follicles determines if the individual hair strands are thick or thin.
Hence, large follicles produce thick hairs and small follicles produce thin hairs.
Hormonal related factors such as menopause or childbirth
The balance of the hormones testosterone and estrogen in your body determines the hair characteristic that you will have. If you have excess of estrogen, then it is likely that you will a lot of thick hair. In the other case of excess of testosterone, then you are likely to have less hair which is very thin. Women have less hair which is very thin after childbirth and during menopause due to reduced estrogen. They will have a lot of thick hair during pregnancy due to excess of estrogen that promotes growth of hair.
Birth control pills or other medications
All birth control pills have the ability to influence the growth and appearance of your scalp and body hair. In as much as they may not affect your scalp hair at all, they can do so if you have a genetic predisposition to hormonal hair loss and/or follicle sensitivity to androgens (male hormones)
In these cases, the effect they have on your hair can either be positive or negative, and this depends on the pill’s hormone combination and also on your body’s metabolism of the drug
Disease or illness
Some diseases like Alopecia Areata which is an autoimmune disease that causes hair to fall out in small, random patches, can cause hair to constantly fall out and this results into very thin hair follicles, leading to very thin hair.4
Your hair is made up of protein so if you are not eating enough protein, this would cause an iron deficiency and subsequently hair loss.
Maryon Stewart, founder of the Women’s Nutritional Advisory Service, says, ‘Poor hair growth or hair loss can be caused by a mild iron deficiency and/or a lack of vitamin C.5
High stress levels can also cause hair loss as they raises the levels of androgen in your blood. Androgen is a male sex hormone so increased levels can cause hair loss similar to that seen in men and in women6
A fungal infection of the scalp or cancer treatments.
Ringworm is the most common fungal infection that affects human hair. It is technically called tinea capitis. It is causes irritation of the scalp and hair to fall off after some time. This in the long run leads to very thin strands of hair.
The treatment of cancer explores an option of chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Hair loss, also called alopecia, is a potential side effect of chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Hair may fall out entirely, gradually, or in sections. The drugs likely to cost you hair include:
- Altretamine (Hexalen)
- Carboplatin (Paraplatin)
- Cisplatin (Platinol)
- Cyclophosphamide (Neosar)8
Environmental impact from sun exposure, chlorine or salt water, air conditioning or heating and pollution can weaken hair.
The roots of your hair are nourished by tiny blood vessels called capillaries. If the circulation to these blood vessels is disrupted the hair can fall out or break and become thin at last. Air and water pollutants, chlorine, metals and minerals may be left on the scalp and hair as you wash with water every day, contributing to thinning hair
Home Remedies for Thicker Hair- Naturally
If you have been looking for ways to make your hair thicker & voluminous naturally at home, you are in the right place and just at the right time.
The remedies you are about to learn are simple, convenient and most important cost-saving. Forget about the expensive treatments and products out there in market.
Above all, remember ensure your diet is healthy. Include foods rich in proteins, vitamins and minerals. In fact, recent studies have shown that Protein and B vitamins, in particular, promote thicker and longer hair.
Ensure that your includes; dairy such as milk, yogurt(Greek in particular), poultry(eggs etc), legumes, fatty fish, nuts, seeds, beans,whole grains, and fresh green vegetables
1. Coconut Oil Massage
It contains acids like lauric acid and capric acid. They protect your hair against microbes that are one of the causes of hair loss. Apart from that, coconut oil has vitamin E and other fatty acids that locks in the moisture in your hair and provide right nutrition as well. As a fine moisturizer, coconut oil strengthens your hair shaft right from the root and also prevents breakages.
What do you require?
- 1-3 tablespoons of coconut oil depending on your hair length.
- Warm water- 1 bowl
- A Towel
- Give 13 remedies or more.
- Warm your coconut oil or use it cold.
- Take some oil on your palm and rub with the other palm to feel the warmth of the oil.
- Apply this oil on your scalp and massage using your finger tips.
- Repeat this for all the areas on your scalp.
- Apply some oil on your hair strands to lock in the moisture there too.
- Keep on massaging with gentle hands for about 15-20 minutes. This will lead to good blood circulation, also needed for healthy hair.
- Take the towel and dip this in the warm water.
- Wring out the towel to discard excess water.
- Place the warm towel on your freshly massaged head covering all your hair. Be careful, the towel should only be warm and not hot.
- Let the towel be on your head for about 30 minutes.
- You can now wash your hair.
- Alternatively, you may just massage your hair with coconut oil and instead of using warm towel treatment; you may leave it overnight and wash your hair next day.
- Repeat twice or thrice a week for better results
It contains lots of vitamins and minerals. It also acts as humectant which attracts moisture and keeps your hair hydrated so that they do not break due to dryness.
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Dried Sage- 1 tbsp
- Olive oil or Coconut oil- ½ tbsp
- Water- ½ cup
- Mix all the ingredients to make your nourishing hair tonic.
- Massage your scalp with this for about 5 minutes.
- Leave for half an hour.
- Wash off with your regular shampoo or some herbal shampoo.
- Repeat once every week.
3. Onion Juice
It is rich in sulphur that boosts collagen production in the tissues and helps in re-growth of hair. It is one of the oldest and the most efficient home remedy for hair growth.
- 2 red onions or shallots
- Peel the onions or shallots and chop them into pieces.
- Blend the pieces and squeeze out their juice.
- Apply the juice on your scalp carefully and keep it on for 15 minutes.
- Finally, rinse off with a mild shampoo.
4. Coconut milk
It is rich in proteins, iron, and other essential nutrients, and promotes hair growth and prevents breakage
- Coconut milk
- Extract the milk of a coconut and apply it on the targeted areas or you can apply it all over your scalp.
- Keep it on overnight.
- Rinse off with cool water the next day.
5. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper stimulates hair growth and prevents thinning of hair. The presence capsaicin makes cayenne pepper ideal for promoting hair growth. This ingredient, when applied on the scalp, causes the nerves to activate and increase the blood flow to the scalp. This results in increased absorption of nutrients and better hair growth at long last.
- 1 teaspoon pepper powder
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Mix pepper powder and olive oil.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp, especially at the place where hair thinning is more prominent. Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Wash off with cold water.
5. Potato Juice
It is rich in vitamins A, B, and C. These are essential for healthy and strong hair (5). This can be used even if you are suffering from alopecia
- 1 potato
- Wash your hair using a mild shampoo.14
- Apply this potato juice on your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Peel the potato and extract juice out it by blending the potato slices.
They leave your hair soft and lustrous and improve its texture
- 2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- Blend the peppercorns and lime juice to form a smooth paste.
- Apply this paste on the roots of your hair.
- Cover your head with a warm towel for deep penetration.
- Rinse off after half an hour.
8. Cumin Seeds
They have numerous nutrients essential for healthy and shining hair and applying the paste on your hair promotes hair growth
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- ½ cup olive oil or castor oil
- Soak cumin seeds in olive oil or castor oil. Let them soak overnight.
- The next morning, apply the paste on the targeted areas.
- Wash after 15 minutes with a mild shampoo.16
It is also a good conditioner for hair and can be used as a hair mask. It is rich in potassium, Vitamin A, E, and C.
- Mash a ripe banana
- Apply it on your hair.
- You can also add a little milk or honey to it.
10. Aloe Vera
- Aloe vera gel,
- Mix these three
- Leave them for an hour on your scalp.
- Wash them with normal water.
- This remedy will make your hair beautiful, and brandy will add sheen to them.
11. Olive oil
Olive oil contains omega three fatty acids which help in proper growth of the hair. The use of olive oil to massage the scalp as well as including virgin olive oil in your diet can prevent hair loss and promote thicker hair growth.
- Before going to bath, apply olive oil on your hair and massage using the fingertips.
- Leave the oil on hair for about half an hour and rinse away oil using mild shampoo.
- You can also apply olive oil on your hair before going to bed at night and can wash it off in the next day morning.
- Similarly, you can also mix olive oil with honey and apply this mixture on the hair and wash it off after half an hour to get soft and strong hair.
12. Flax Seed
It is not just a natural ingredient that has lots of health boosters but it also helps in increasing hair thickness. The fatty acids that are present in the flaxseed will help in thickening the hair naturally.
- Mix three tablespoons of flax seeds in a bowl of water and keep it in water for about five days.
- Dip a cotton ball in this flaxseed solution and then apply it directly on your scalp.
- Leave it there for ten minutes and then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat this process daily and this will help in providing thicker hair on your scalp after a few days.
- You can also eat a teaspoon of flax seed oil or ground flaxseeds every day to enjoy thick and shiny hair.
This folk remedy is a wonderful way to attain thick, healthy and beautiful looking hair. Hibiscus flowers can be boiled in water and the solution can be used as a natural shampoo for washing your hair. This will prevent hair thinning.
More Tips on how to make your Hair Thicker and Fuller Naturally & Fast
Use the right Shampoo
The type of shampoo that you use matters. “ Hair follicles are only 1.25 mm below the surface of the scalp, so cleansing ingredients really can reach them,” Elizabeth Cunnane Phillips, a hair scientist at the Philip Kingsley Trichological Clinic, in New York. Look for formulas enriched with vitamins E and B5, zinc, iron, and copper — they increase keratin production, the building block of hair.
Wash your hair properly
Washing your hair every day removes the natural oils produced by your scalp to protect your hair and keep it healthy. Washing your hair three to four times a week is a healthier routine. This gives your hair a chance to get the benefits of the oils your scalp produces.
Wash your hair with cold water. Hot water is hard on the hair, causing it to dry out and get brittle. Washing your hair with cold water helps the hair shaft lie flat, protecting it from breakage and damage.
Dry your hair more carefully.
Don’t ball it up and wring it out when you get out of the shower as this causes the hair to break. If you want it to grow thick, take care of the hair you have by gently patting it dry with a towel and then letting it finish air-drying. This natural method for drying hair is easy, free, and produces pleasing results
Thick Hair not Always Good
Well the information above is about why thicker mane is good and of course ways to get it at home. However, it is worth noting that thicker hair is not always the best thing to have on your body especially the scalp region. Having thick hair may come with its issues some which include;
- Days filled with tangles
- Plenty of hair coming out in clumps on the hairbrush
- Brushes always get caught in your massive mane
- Constant weather checks to avoid frizz
- Preserves a lot of heat especially during summer
- You need copious amounts of products(shampoo/ conditioner) to keep it in check
- It takes ages to dry.