Onion Juice for Hair Growth
Can you use onion juice to grow hair fast? Reviews, before and after pictures of using onion juice for hair growth show positive results. Here’s a guide on how to use onion juice for your hair, its benefits and possible side effects you may experience.
Has your hairline begun to recede leading to bald patches all over your head? Do you have the feeling that your hair has become grayer or thinner? When people notice changes occurring in their hair (color and thickness), their confidence levels often end up taking a hit. This is mainly because of the fact that hair is used to determine a person’s identity, which is why many people go to great lengths to ensure that they preserve their identity, and onion juice for hair growth helps in achieving this fete.
Even though the thought of using onion juice for hair growth may not sound very appealing to most people, it is one of the remedies that has successfully been used for years in treating receding hairlines. Onion juice can assist your assist you re-grow the hair on your head.
Can onion juice help hair grow fast?
The answer to this question is YES, onion juice can assist your hair to grow faster. Onions happen to be very rich in sulfur. The sulfur mineral on the other hand is one of the most important building blocks of the human hair. When present, it assists in improving the circulation of blood, and ensures that your hair follicles receive sufficient nourishment.
Additionally, onions come with antibacterial properties. The properties are important as they assist in dealing with scalp infections, which could be the primary reason why you are losing hair at a fast pace. In addition, onions also contain an enzyme known as catalase.
The enzyme acts as an antioxidant, and is vital in preventing premature graying of hair amongst most people. In their quest to determine the true importance of onion juice, researchers have conducted studies aimed at determining whether onion juice for hair growth is possible.
In 2002, a small study was published in the journal of Dermatology, which looked into how onion juice can be used in treated alopecia areata (which is an autoimmune disease, which is known to lead to patchy hair loss)
Participants in this study were required to apply the onion juice in their scalps at least two times each day for a period spanning two months. It was noticed that those who stuck to this regiment, and applied it as recommended experienced better re-growth rates, as opposed to people who only utilized tap water. Additionally, the men in the study also posted better results, as compared to the women who took part in the same study.
Benefits of onion juice for hair growth
In addition to assisting in the growth of hair, onion juice also comes with very many other additional benefits, which can help improve your general health condition. Some of the benefits include:
Reversing gray hair
In recent times, it has been suggested that onion juice can be used in its pure form, or together with other organic nutrients to help in combating excessive hair loss, and get rid of graying of hair. During the 16th century, a well known herbalist called John Gerard was able to point out that when onion juice is applied on the bald patches on the scalp, it can assist your hair grow back.
According to Mr. Gerard, when the onion juices are anointed upon the bald scalp, they are able to bring back the hair at a very fast pace. Since then, onion juice has continued to be used in routine hair care practices, with those using it, being able to report positive feedback.
Given that onions contain the Catalase enzyme, they have always been a great remedy for helping deal with premature graying of hair. Latest research has been able to show that graying hair is provoked by the build-up of Hydrogen peroxide in the body, and a decreasing amount of Catalase the natural antioxidant.
When there is a build-up of hydrogen peroxide in the hair follicles on your scalp, it results in oxidative stress, and this will often result in your hair becoming gray, as well as becoming thin as each day passes.
Additional benefits of onion juice for hair growth
- Onions come with Quercetin (an antihistamine), which assists in preventing the development of health issues such as asthma and allergies. When you consume the onion juice, your intestine absorb the Quercetin, which is known to stay longer in the body circulation, as compared to all the other foods
- Regular consumption of onions helps in protecting your bone system, and this ensures that you do not experience bone loss, while at the same time guaranteeing the health of your bone. It is something that works perfectly for the ladies that are facing bone issues
- The onion is a vegetable that contains dietary fibre, which has been termed as being great for healthy bacteria that are found in your intestines. As such, it assists in promoting the presence of a digestive system that is very healthy. Onions contain fibre, which assists in maintaining optimum levels of the friendly bacteria, and this will ensure that digestion is highly enhanced.
- Eating or ingesting onion juice on a regular basis will ensure that the sugar levels in your blood are reduced. Onions contain chromiums, which assists in improving glucose tolerance, while at the same time reducing blood sugar levels.
- Onion juice contains sulfur, which when massaged into the scalp will assist in improving blood circulation, as well as strengthening the hair follicles. The presence of this sulfur ensures that there is reduced breakage, and thinning of the hair
How to make onion juice for your hair
According to a study published in the Journal of Dermatology, it was established that using onion juice for at least four weeks results in increased hair growth in 74% of the study subjects. Within six weeks of continued use, 84% of the subjects had responded increased hair growth.
Even though it is possible to purchase onion juice for hair growth online, it is recommended that you use fresh onion juice, as the onion juice purchased from the stored or from the web could have been on the shelves for weeks, or even months.
Additionally, fresh onion juice is known to be more potent. To ensure that this juice will not need to be preserved for a long time, it is recommended that you prepare it in small amounts. You can make onion juice for hair growth in three main ways:
Juicer: For people with juicers at home, this is the best way to go about making the onion juice. All you need to do is take the onion, chop it into fine pieces, and then place the onion in your juicer. If you do not have a juicer, you should consider acquiring one, as this is the fastest way for you to prepare the onion juice.
Food processor/blender: Take a ripe, fresh onion, and cut the onion into at least four sections. Take the sections and place them in the food processor or blender, and begin blending. Once blending is complete, you should take the mixture, and slowly strain it. This will ensure that you only remain with the onion juice.
Grater: Take your ripe onion and slowly peel it off. Ensure that you cut it into two pieces. Grate both onion halves over a bowl, and then use a strainer to strain the onion juice.
How to use onion juice for hair growth
Using onion juice for hair growth is a safe and natural way for you to rein in the hair loss, and ensure that you are able to re-grow your hair much more quickly. It is possible for you to start noticing positive results, within a few days of using the onion juice, mainly because the juice does not come with any dangerous chemicals.
All you need for this method to work is to have some onion juice ready. The juice can be prepared by blending an onion. You can use onion juice for hair growth in the following ways:
1. Honey and onion juice mixture
For this particular remedy, you will need access to honey and fresh onion juice. Ensure that the juice has been separated from the onion, and then proceed to use it raw without combining it with any water.
You should ensure that the two ingredients have been combined properly before proceeding to apply them on your scalp. In addition, ensure that the mix is spread to all your hair parts, by using a brush to comb through the hair. It is recommended that the juice be allowed to sit on your scalp for at least fifteen minutes before you can wash it off.
2. Onion juice and rum
This method is recommended for people who do not want to have to deal with the onion smell on their hair after application. Here’s how to use onion juice and rum to make your hair grow faster.
- Take your onions and cut them into small-medium sized pieces, before placing them in a bowl, or glass filled with rum
- Allow the onion pieces to soak in your rum for the entire night, before using them the next day in the morning, on your scalp
- Before use, you should filter the onion pieces from the rum, and then proceed to apply them on your hair
- Make sure to massage the onion pieces through your scalp thoroughly
- Rinse your hair after minutes using hair shampoo
3. Hair rinse and onion juice
It is also possible to use onion juice for hair growth in the form of a hair rinse. The remedy is recommended for people who are constantly having to deal with eye irritation, due to the onions present in the juice. The method makes it possible for a person to derive the numerous benefits present in onion juice, without having to worry about eye irritation.
What to do at home
- Take a single liter of water and add three chopped onions to the water
- Place the water and the onions in a pan and allow them to boil for at least ten minutes, before allowing it enough time to cool down
- Once it has cooled down, use the water to rinse the hair, after you have used your normal shampoo to wash it
- The results will be immediate, and you will start experiencing re-growth within no time.
- For quicker and more effective results, it is recommended that you apply the rinse on a regular basis.
4. Applying raw onion juice
This particular method is not for the faint at heart, as there is a chance that it will irritate your eyes and makes you cry every time you use it, even though it is considered to be one of the best methods for treating a receding hair line.
What to do at home
- Take four onions, chop them into fine pieces and blend the pieces to extract the juice
- Take the juice and proceed to apply it directly to your hair using a brush or by relying on your hands
- It is recommended that you massage it after application to ensure that your scalp will be able to absorb all the nutrients that are present in the onion juice
- Repeat application at least three times each week
5. How to apply/how to make onion juice and coconut oil to grow hair fast
To prepare this mask, you will need:
- One tablespoon of onion juice
- Two teaspoons of coconut oil
- a few drops of any essential oil (optional)
How to use
- take the onion juice and combine it with your coconut oil
- Add the essential oil that you have chosen into the concoction. Though it is an optional step, the essential oil will assist in masking the odor that is associated with the onion juice
- Take the mask, and using your hands, gently apply it through your hair strands, ensuring that it does not come into contact with your scalp
- Allow it to stay there for at least one hour
- Use warm water and a mild shampoo to rinse off the mask
6. Onion juice and olive oil for hair growth
For this method, you will need:
- Onion juice
- Five tablespoons of olive oil
- Two tablespoons of brandy
- Two egg yolks
What to do at home
- Prepare your basic onion juice
- Take the olive oil and add it to the onion juice
- Ensure you combine it properly before proceeding to apply this mask to your scalp. Application should be done in circular movements, relying on the use of your fingertips
- Allow the mask to stay in your hair for at least thirty minutes, and then use lukewarm water to wash it off
Olive oil combined with onion juice works perfectly to assist in controlling hair loss, while stimulating the growth of new hair. This particular onion mask will ensure that your scalp remains clean at all times, and that your hair roots are unclogged, thanks to the antimicrobial and antifungal benefits of the onion juice.
Research has shown that baldness is commonly caused by genetic sensitivity associated with DHT. Onions, on the other hand, are known to provide your hair roots with the nutrients they need, and which may have been blocked by the DHT. Another reason for baldness is consumption of unhealthy diet or vitamin deficiency.
7. Onion juice + honey to grow hair fast
To make this remedy, you will require:
- Two tablespoons of raw honey
- One tablespoon of castor oil
- Onion juice
What to do at home
- Prepare your onion juice
- Combine all the above ingredients to come up with a smooth mass
- Dampen your hair
- Take the mask and apply it through the damp hair, before using shampoo to rinse the hair
- Wear a shower cap, and allow the mask to stay on your hair for at least one hour
- Use your favorite shampoo to wash off the mask, and allow the hair to dry naturally
Tips on how to use the onion juice for hair growth treatment
Using the onion juice for hair growth on the skin has been known to bring about results that are inspiring. However, the odor that comes with the onion juice may prevent some people from relying on this approach to control hair loss. To ensure that you do away with the onion odor, you can do the following:
- When washing your hair, use warm or cool water. Hot water has been known to increase the smell present in the onions
- Hair rinse should be done using an infusion of herbs (burdock, nettle, chamomile), a solution of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Add banana puree or lemon juice to your onion mask
- Adding essential oils such as lavender, orange, tea tree oil, or rosemary will also assist in eliminating the odor that is present. Do not add many drops, as only a few drops will do the trick
- If you find that the onion smell is still present even after you have washed off the mask from your hair, you should rinse it again using apple cider vinegar. The apple cider vinegar should be diluted with two teaspoons of grapefruit juice, lemon juice, citrus juice, or water
- Once you have removed the onion mask from your hair, you will need to use the parsley decoction when rinsing the hair
- Make sure that the onion juice has been filtered prior to use, as the onion chunks present in the juice may be left on your hair, which may then contribute to an odor
- Follow all the rules that come with each onion juice for hair growth mask: if the recipe allows onion juice to be used on the length of your hair-then, you can leave the mixture on your hair. You should only apply the mask on your scalp, if the recipe has explicitly provided for this; otherwise only apply it to your hair.
Side effects of using onion juice for hair growth
Undoubtedly, the onion happens to be one of the healthiest vegetable found in the planet today. Onions work perfectly in helping manage diabetes and asthma. Additionally, they can be used in treating and managing hypertension.
The onion can be consumed in a number of ways. It can also be used in adding taste to the meals you prepare at home each day. It is a great source of folic acid and vitamin C. therefore, it is safe to say that the onion is a magical ingredient, which comes with numerous healing properties.
However, there is a need to address the side effects that may come with regular use of onion juice for hair growth. Continued use of onion juice may have a negative impact on your overall health. Common side effects include:
1. Reduction in your blood sugar levels
When a sudden fall in the blood sugar levels is recorded, this could lead to serious health issues. Though the onion plays an important role in controlling hair loss, it has also been known to contribute to massive reductions in your blood sugar levels. Therefore, if you notice a change in your blood sugar levels, it is recommended that you stop eating onions immediately.
2. Gas formation
Ingestion of too many onions could lead to an interruption of your intestinal functions. A condition leads to health complications such as vomiting, gas, and having a bloated feeling. If you find yourself having to deal with such health issues, you are required to pay close attention to what you are eating. If you love onions, this means that you should stop eating the onions, as they may be the cause of these health complications.
Some people are allergic to onions. The allergies manifest in the form of skin irritation and rashes that suddenly begin to appear on the skin surface. If you intend to use onion juice to control hair loss, there is a need for you to first test it on a small portion of your skin. If you do not experience any side effects, you can proceed to use it on a wider surface.
4. Bad breath
Increased consumption of onions will eventually lead to bad breadth. Often, consuming onions that have a very strong flavor cause this. Given that, they are known to be rich in sulfur; raw onions will often lead to a strong odor being added to your breadth. It is considered to be the greatest side effect of using onions as a beauty regimen.
Success reviews, before and after pictures and results
Here are testimonials, reviews and before and after pictures of using onion juice. The results below may not represent what you will get since people get mixed results. Some may have hair grow thicker faster while others may experience increased length over a short time.
Review 1: Jack Webb, Medical counselor: “Yes, it will aid you to regrow your hair at full pace, as well as it is an effective remedy for hair loss.” – Quora review forums.
Review 2: “One thing is for sure – as soon as I apply onion juice on my hair for at least 2-3 days in a row, all dandruff is gone! So it DOES make your scalp healthier. And just when your scalp is healthy you can expect some hair regrowth.” – Gediminas Stankevičius, Percussionist at Marga Muzika.
Review 3: “Hi there
I am Using Onion Juice every day for almost 3weeks now, and I noticed my hair is strong some benefit is there for sure , I am planning to continue at least 6 months to see how it works”
Here are before and after pictures showing results. All the photos are as seen on the web. They are not our own work.
Stop playing with people’s emotions just because you want to vet more hits/likes on your website.
This is ridiculous and if you want proof then i have been using onion garlic apple cider vinegar for over 2 years now but woyh no success.
Sorry if i am rude but i am just being honest about it as i read this everywhere and it is really frustrating seeing no progress.
Sorry you did not any see results. The fact is, it does not work for everyone…
I think it’s work use raw onion it will work for sure . I m mother of 2 yrs and looses a lot after my delivery . But it’s been 3 months I starting to use onion juice and work . Don’t use anything only raw onion juice . I hope u wil like be benifited ✌️ Trust me
Ur using wrong mixture..
Try indian gooseberry juise mix equal with onion juise and apply overnight then wash it and most important chew ur food many time as possible and meditation
see d result
Yes indeed it does work, if people get used to the smell and stck with it everyday it works with quick results try for three to four weeks I’ve tried medications,(finasterid) and others, topicals(rogain). The medication had serious sexual side effects don’t care what Dr. says, I mean sexual side effects that took me from mandingo to vienna so fast I was like possibly who thinks having a head of hair and a Vienna is fine so to Anonymous sorry for your results, nut nothing worked for me until I tried this. Maybe there’s other causes for your hairloss
We in India do nail rubbing yoga for regrowth.
It’s called balayam yoga
Can i use the extra juice that i have for the next application?