Wash out hair dye and colors are the best options when you want a temporary color for an occasion. You can also use it for kids. How do you use hair dye that washes out? What are the best brands of washable hair colors?
What is wash in wash out hair dye?
Wash out hair dye is a type of hair dye that has temporary results that typically last anywhere from 3-8 washes. Hair colors that wash out are suited for those who want to refresh their natural or dyed hair color in-between hair dyes, with no permanent results. Additionally, wash out hair colors or dyes have the following characteristics:
Wash out hair dye formulas contain pigments that adhere temporarily to the hair structure and are water-soluble, which means that they gradually fade away after a few washes with plain water and shampoo.
Using hair color that washes out
The lighter your existing hair color is, the better the color will show through. Light blonde bases can dye their hair in any color they want and even crazy shades like Teal, Orange, and Pink. Darker brown hair shades though, cannot get a light shade (natural or crazy), with a temporary wash out hair color
- They can either be used to a solid base color or as highlighting color to add highlights in certain places
- Some temporary hair dye formulas can be used to cover up gray hair (not 100% though) when applied in dried hair.
Washable hair dye for kids
If your kid has expressed the desire to dye their hair in a temporary crazy shade of color, there are many products in the market suited for this purpose. You can even make your own washable hair dye for your kids by mixing in a bit of jello or cook-aid with water to make a liquid, and then leave it to your kid’s hair for 30 minutes before rinsing it out.
If your kid wants to dye their hair temporarily a crazy shade, here are some kits suited for children and teens:
- Hot Huez Temporary Hair Chalk Kit. This a kit that contains 4 chalks in crazy colors ( Hot Pink, Electric Blue, Fiery Fuchsia, and Neon Green and one applicator sponge to wrap the hair around the chalk and color it. The brand claims that it works on all hair colors and hair types. The chalk hair color washes out easily with shampoo. Average price:$ 9.99
- Color Rox Hair Color. Another good hair kit for kits. This contains hair chalk in purple, blue, green, pink, and orange hair shades, 24 beads, 24 rubber bands, and a threader for extra decoration of the hair. The kit can be used by girls of ages 8 and up and the color is easily rinsed with plain water and shampoo. Average selling price: $11.99
Hair chalks in general work best for kids are they are mess-free and easy to wash out. Temporary hair colors in other forms e.g. spray forms, can also be used as long as they do not contain any toxic chemicals that could cause damage to the scalp of our kid or any other negative reactions.
Best wash out hair color
The best wash out hair color brands according to average uses reviews on the Net are as follows:
- AGEbeautiful Root Touch-Up Sprays Temporary Haircolor line. This line is suited for those who are looking to temporarily cover up their roots and possible cover gray hair. This range comes in 9 natural looking shades, ranging from black to natural light blonde. The products claim to offer temporary hair color that is water and sweat resistant and typically lasts a couple washes (with shampoo). An additional hair benefit claimed by the product is the addition of extra volume to the hair. Average selling price is $9.99.
Roux Fanci-Full Temporary Color Rinse
This is a temporary hair rinse in liquid form that works on washed and towel dry hair and requires no applicator, mixing or, bleach.
The product claims to temporarily help cancel out brassy tones on the hair and give a more even toned effect, while blending out gray hair. Available in 13 natural looking shades, including natural gray and white hair shades.
Schwarzkopf Palette Instant Color
Pallete Instant Color is a temporary color that lasts around 6-8 washes and claims to offer luscious and vibrant shine to the hair.
This is suitable for those who are looking for a full yet temporary hair color that covers all the hair length. The formula also has an additional care-complex. Available in 12 natural and semi-crazy looking shades like Plum, Granat Red, and Blue Black.(
Bumble and Bumble, Spray chalk
For those looking for a temporary crazy shade (either as a solid color or as a highlight) this revolutionary spray chalk is ideal. This dries in seconds and lasts one wash.
It is available in 4 pastel yet edgy shades: Lavender (a light blue purple shade), Blush (a peachy pink shade), Cobalt (a deep blue shade), and mint (a pastel light green/mint shade).
Wash out red hair dye
If you are looking for a wash out hair dye in red hues, here are some suggestions:
- Clairol’s Jazzing Hair Color in Ruby Red. This is suitable for adding a fiery red tint to the hair that is semi-sheer or enhances already dyed red color. The hair must be ideally light enough for the color to show up better.
- L’Oreal Technique Liquid Chalk Temporary Intense Hair Makeup in shade Better Off Red. This is a liquid chalk hair dye by L’oreal that utilizes a breakthrough ink-pigment technology to deliver vibrant hair color results that last in all types and colors of hair (even black hair), with no prior bleaching. The shade Better Off Red is a deep yet vibrant red shade with copper undertones.
Wash out black hair dye
For those looking for a wash out black hair dye, the good news is that all brands that have a temporary hair color line feature the shade of black. Here are some suggestions for different shades of black:
- Schwarzkopf’s Palette Instant Color in shade Blue Black. This is a frosty black shade with cool blue undertones.
- Roux Fanci-Full Color Styling Mousse in Black Rage. This is a natural black shade with neutral brown undertones.
- Hair Maker’s Temporary Liquid Hair Color in Dark Brown. A natural blackish brown shade for those looking for a natural change.
- Streaks and Tips, Temporary Highlight Spray in Midnight Black. If you want to add some black highlights to your hair instead of dying it altogether, you could try this brand and formula. Midnight black is a deep black shade with subtle gray/ashy undertones, suited for those looking for a gothic type of black.
- Clairol’s Jazzing Hair Color in 94 Ebony. If you want to enhance or darken slightly your existing dark brown hair and cancel out any red or orange hues, this formula and shade is ideal. Ebony as its name suggests is an almost pure black color with subtle gray undertones. On the same range, you can also find a black shade with blue undertones, Bluest Black.
Wash out pink hair dye
If you are looking for a wash out pink hair dye, here are some possible suggestions:
- Clairol’s Jazzing Temporary Hair Color in Fuchsia Plum. This is a deep fuchsia pink shade with subtle purple undertones that shows best in light colored hair.
- L’Oreal Technique Liquid Chalk Temporary Intense Hair Make-up in Pink-Pop. This is a vibrant medium pink shade that tends to be on the Fuchsia side.
- Bumbles and Bumble’s spray chalk in blush. A pastel pink shade with warm peachy undertones, suited for those with light hair.
How to remove wash out hair dye
Since wash out hair dyes typically last from 1-6 washes max, there is no need to use any color remover. Just wash your hair a couple of times and this should be enough for removing the hair dye. If the formula of the product claims to last more than a couple of washes, you can try any of the following remedies:
- Use a clarifying shampoo preferably mixed with 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Use Apple Cider Vinegar diluted in water, apply to your hair (with a spray) then wrap your hair around it and wait 15-20 minutes before rinsing out with water. This should be enough for shedding off the color pigments and restoring back your original shade.
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo or liquid dish water to shampoo your hair. These washes are more concentrated than regular shampoos and can effectively penetrate the hair to remove dyed hair pigments faster.