The best blonde hair dye among box brands and kits, at-home and drugstore blonde hair colors is what you need to change your hair. There are blonde dyes for dark hair, brown hair or brunettes and much more. Here are those top-rated, good blonde hair dyes and colors for your skin tones, eye colors, African American dark hair and even brands in the UK.
Good hair dyes are said to last longer, don’t turn hair brassier and will remain with their shine for a long time. In other words, a good light blonde or dark blonde hair dye that you are looking for should be long lasting and does not damage your hair. So, when it comes to shades of blonde hair color, which brand is the best out there? Can you get drugstore brands or cheap picks?
What is the best blonde hair dye for DIY coloring?
Not all women have blonde hair, but you can achieve this with a high quality hair dye product. According to Schwarzkopf, about 95 percent of the world’s population is not blonde. But getting a shade of blonde that you want cab be done through either bleaching or coloring, or even both. When doing DIY coloring at home, you must know how to choose a brand that will truly make your hair look beautiful and well covered. Here are quick tips for choosing:
- A good blonde dye should suit your needs. For example, you could be looking for a brand that will cover gray hair. Look out for that particular ability in the dye.
- Some products can color dark hair and cover well to turn it blonde.
- For the best blonde hair dye, avoid harmful ingredients such as para-phenylenediamine (PPD), which can cause allergic reactions.
- Ease of use is important. Since you are going to do at-home hair coloring, the product should come with easy-to-follow instructions that can be done at home.
- Some colors can turn hair blonde without bleaching. So, if bleaching damages your hair, go for such. Otherwise, buy the best professional blonde hair dye and use it at the salon.
- Consider whether you want a permanent hair dye, semi-permanent or just temporary products.
Below, I categorized the different types of blonde hair color products from drugstore, DIY at home, for different skin tones, eye colors and much more. Be sure to read the sections that suit you best. Let’s start with the best brands overall.
Best blonde hair dye brand
To determine the best brands, product ratings for quality are important. The best blonde hair dyes will make your hair look shiny because of the gloss they add to it. The color should also be long lasting because dyeing your hair over and over again can damage it, or simply suck the natural luster out of it.
Most of the hair dye brands in the market, whether in the U.S.A or the U.K never miss blonde on their chart. A range of the shades within the blonde color are also available. These include ash blonde, dark blonde, light blonde color, platinum blonde, honey and golden blonde among others. Remember you will choose these depending on your skin undertones and eye color in order to get a color that will suit you the best. In general, here are the best brands of blonde hair dye you should choose from.
- Clairol Nice N’ Easy, e.g. Permanent Hair Dye 10A Ultra-Light Ash Blonde
- Revlon Colorsilk e.g. Beautiful Color Light Ash Blonde 80 (comes as a box dye kit)
- L’Oréal Paris hair color brands
- John Frieda e.g. 8G Sheer Blonde® Medium Golden Blonde Precision foam colour (this one is a UK brand)
- Garnier Nutrisse brand line of hair colors
Where can I buy these brands of blonde dyes? You can get them from online stores. Some of these are drugstore brands, such as Revlon Colorsilk and cost a lot cheaper compared to high end products that L’Oreal sometimes have. Stores include eBay, Sally’s, Amazon, Walmart, Drugstore and Walgreens. CVS also stocks some of these brands.
Best blonde hair dye at home
What is the best at home blonde hair dye? Hair color kits that you can use at home allow you to skip the professional salon and do your hair coloring at home. From L’Oreal Paris blonde hair dye to Revlon Colorsilk Luxurious brands, Clairol to Garnier, Manic Panic to Rita Hazan and many more, at-home hair dyes and colors are a favorite among many of us today. Here are reasons why you should choose at-home hair dyes over professional salon hair coloring and styling.
- They are cheap. Yes, DIY hair dyes are cheap. If you are looking for maximum coverage on a budget, inexpensive at-home hair dyes are the perfect products for those in-between salon visits.
- Products such as Clairol Natural Instincts are good for even blonde coverage without professional help. With such products, you can cover thin hair, hide gray hair and also change to blonde hair dye without bleach.
- If you are very busy, then you can only squeeze a little time to dye your own hair at home. A good blonde hair dye at home comes in handy here.
According to wide reviews and ratings, the best blonde hair dyes at home are both Clairol and Revlon Colorsilk. Here are the products:
1. Clairol Nice ‘n Easy Natural Dark Neutral Blonde Hair Color Review
Clairol scores well with its range of permanent hair color kits. This particular color comes with 3 salon tones that you can get in just one simple step. Reviews point out that it gives natural highlights and tones.
As an addition, the dark neutral blonde gives a nice 100 percent gray coverage. With a conditioner that seals in the color as soon as you dye it, it lasts up to 8 weeks while keeping the shine vibrant and your hair healthy.
2. Revlon Colorsilk Beautiful Color, Ultra-Light Natural Blonde 04 Reviews
Revlon is a cheap brand yet it maintains its quality and ease of use. You can get it under $10 since it is a drugstore product. Here are a few points worth noting about it:
- It is ammonia free, so it will not damage your hair.
- This is one of the best blonde hair dye kits because it contains a cream color developer and complete instructions to help you dye your hair at home easily to get blond.
- The box also includes a conditioner that nourishes your hair and makes it have a multi-dimensional color.
- This product is highly rated, scoring an average rating of 4.1 out of 5 stars based at Drugstore.com.
Blonde hair dye without bleach
What is the best blonde hair dye without bleach and ammonia? Can you get the lightest blonde or white, platinum blonde hair without bleaching it? This will entirely depend on your natural hair color. Bleaching, more often than not, damages hair fast. It strips it of its vibrant color. In order to get to colors such as white blonde hair color, you will need to get a rich product that doesn’t fade fast.
Without bleach, it is a case of dyeing your hair from brown to blonde or black to blonde at home. According to WikiHow’s steps, you can use lemon juice and then your dye to achieve this in the sunlight. But I always think that lemon juice itself acts as a bleach. We have already seen how to bleach your hair with lemon juice and without sun.
- In order to dye your hair blonde without bleach, you must know that you are unlikely to get to the actual color that is on the box.
- For example, if you have African American hair, or dark hair or roots, you are likely to get a two to three shades of blonde away from your actual target.
- Without lightening dark hair, you will need to do touchups or do the coloring procedure several times in order to go blonde with no bleach.
Best ash blonde hair color kit
Ash blonde is one of the popular shades of blonde. Celebrities always wear it and look superb. An example is Julianne Hough. Some wear extensions, but when it comes to dye, which ash blonde hue brand do they wear. I rounded up a few top rated products that have been reviewed a lot. Here’s three of the best blonde hair color kits in ash blonde that you will find useful.
- Garnier Nutrisse Radiant (7.31 Dark Golden Ash Blonde)
- Revlon Colorsilk dark ash blonde no. 60 1
- L’Oreal Superior Preference Dream Blonde Hair Color, 7A Dark Ash Blonde
Some of these box hair dyes come with shampoos and conditioners, which makes them the perfect at-home hair dyes. Remember that when ash blonde fades, it can turn out to be too ashy and make you look lifeless. The orange tones, or brassiness that can appear in light ash blonde hair if not done well at home. So if you are not sure you can dye your hair light ash blonde by yourself, you can go to the salon and have a professional hair colorist help.
Best blonde hair dye UK
What brands are available in the U.K. that are considered the top blonde hair dyes? There are quite a few contenders according to the GlamGeek report. Here are a few picks we thought are worth considering and checking out in the United Kingdom.
- L’Oreal Excellence Crème e.g. Casting Creme Gloss Sunkiss
- Live Color XXL Ultra Bright by Schwarzkopf
- John Frieda Sheer Blonde Go Blonder Lightening Spray
Best drugstore blonde hair dye
Drugstore brands are cheap or inexpensive. You can afford them, mostly under $10. The only problem is that you are unlikely to get high-end brands for coloring your hair. But that doesn’t mean that even the best drugstore blonde hair dye and color is not good quality. Revlon, as an example, is one of the best inexpensive drugstore blonde hair colors and yet you can get it at the drugstore. Here are the best picks from the drugstore.
- L’Oreal Paris SFX Super Blonde Creme Lightening Kit (rated 4.5 out of 5 stars)
- Garnier Nutrisse Ultra Color Permanent Haircolor, LB3, ultra-light blondes (good if you are looking for a good light blonde hair dye) (costs $7.99)
- L’Oreal Paris Root Rescue 10 Minute Root Coloring Kit, Light Blonde 9 (costs just $7 at the online drugstore)
Other drugstore blonde hair colors worth mentioning include Fekkai salon color and Clairol. From All these brands, you can go blonde from brown hair color, or even get a good shade of blonde dye for dark roots coloring.
Best blonde box hair dye
If you have been trying to learn how to go blonde at home with blonde hair color, then you must have heard of box hair dyes. Box dyes are perfect for people who do not want to use the services of a professional hair colorist.
However, even with the best blonde box hair dye, it is almost impossible to get your perfect hair color match because other things such as skin tone, eye color and natural color of hair are considered at the salon. Box hair dyes are known not to give the kind of results or shade of hair color that is shown by the image on the box despite the procedure being followed accurately.
Nonetheless, there are some of the best box blonde hair dyes that you can use to come close to the shade of blonde that you are looking for, otherwise you will need to bleach your hair first. The at-home box hair dyes in blonde that are top rated include Revlon Colorsilk, L’Oreal Paris Feria and Garnier Nutrisse. You could try these brands and see if they work for you.
Best blonde hair dye for dark hair or African American hair
Going blonde from dark hair, or for African Americans can be a challenge especially if you are doing this at home. While some women want to keep their dark roots but dye the rest of their hair into a lighter shade, bleaching may be involved if are going DIY. Black hair generally resists lighter hair colors such as blonde.
Dark hair has a lot of red pigment. To change it to blonde, you might have to bleach and lose about 5 shades of its darkness. Therefore, if you get a home hair color kit that contains bleach and instructions, it would definitely be the best blonde hair dye for black hair.
One of the best brands you can count on is L’Oreal Paris. Even so, if you choose a white blonde hair dye, also called platinum blonde, you are likely to end up with a darker shade of blond if you apply on black hair.
Best dark blonde hair dye ideas
Dark blonde is good for brown hair. Therefore, if you are a brunette and want to go blonde, a darker shade of blonde will look natural on you than a lighter one. A few highlights may also add some flatter to your looks and make your hair look even sexier.
Best light blonde hair dye ideas
Light blonde lies close to the ashy tones, which means it is much suitable for women with cool skin tones. If you bleach though, you can end up with hair that has orange tones, or appears to be brassy.
Best blonde hair dye for brown hair, brunettes
For brown hair, dark brown hair, you should always go for a darker shade. To dye hair from brown to blonde, you need to totally cover the brown hair or bleach it and try to avoid the orange tones. Brown roots can be difficult to cover, but if you want to go ombre, then coloring your hair just once at the roots and coloring the midsection twice or thrice will help you achieve this.
Sources and references
- Allure Magazine: Ten Home Hair Color Kits Under $20
- PopSugar: Best Drugstore Hair Color – Best Five We Love
- WikiHow: How to Dye Your Hair from Brown to Blonde Without Bleach