What is the best hair color for blue eyes? From blonde hair to brown hues, you can choose from a wide range of hair dyes to wear, but there are other factors that you must consider when choosing what hair color is best for blue eyes. Your skin tone being one of them. Are you of pale skin and blue eyes, light skin toned, medium skin, cool skin or warm skin? Here’s your ultimate guide for the prettiest and most flattering hair colors for people with blue eyes.
Did you know that blue eyed people are more sensitive to light than those with darker eye colors? Yes, blue eyes have less melanin in them and that makes them lighter. It is much easier to make such eyes pop or easily seen if you match up with the right hair dye. So, before we get into the specifics, here are general tips for choosing good hair colors.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Ideas for Good Hair Colors for Blue Eyes
- Ideas for Good Hair Colors for Blue Eyes
- Best Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Fair Skin
- Best Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Pale Skin
- Pretty Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Light Skin
- Best Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Medium and Tan Skin Tone
- Cute Hair Color Ideas for Blue Eyes and Olive Skin
- Actresses and Celebrities with Blue Eyes to Watch
We cannot say one particular hair color is right for blue-eyed women and men. Your eyes are generally lighter than other eye color types such as hazel eyes, so the rules that most people with darker eyes are used to might not apply to you. So before we suggest the best picks, here are general tips you should always have in mind before buying that hair dye to change your hair color.
- Blonde, red and brown hair colors will look great on you. However, don’t make these hues your general range of operation. Some will enhance your eye color and others will dim it.
- The golden rule if you want to get the most flattering hair is to ensure you choose a hair color that is not more than five shades from your natural hair color. A similar rule is shared by New Health Guide (see sources at the end)
- Match up your skin tone. Do you have a warm skin tone or a cool skin tone? Matching your skin tone while trying not to overshadow your eye color is also an important tip in selecting the right hair color for your blue eyes. See the sections for warm skin tone and cool skin tones.
- If you have a medium skin tone with blue eyes, or are generally considered a woman of color, you are likely to have naturally dark hair and warm undertones. Try not to wear hair colors that will create an unnatural look such as medium blonde and light blonde hair colors.
Best Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Fair Skin
In our previous guides on good hair colors for eye colors, we have already mentioned a few hair colors that go with blue eyes and fair skin. Follow the link to see more on the same. Let’s do a quick recap to help you with your choices.
- With blue eyes and fair skin, you are likely to have pink, blue or purple undertones in your skin. You are likely to be a cool toned girl. You are an ideal blonde so go for it.
- Dark hair colors are good, specifically black. However, you might want to consider dyeing your eyebrows first so that they don’t remain unnaturally lighter.
- Warm hues such as red, strawberry blonde and copper will be great on blue eyes and fair skin especially if you have a yellowish or golden tinge to your skin.
Best Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Pale Skin
What hair color is best for pale skin and blue eyes? If you are not careful, you will end up as a washed out person when you don’t get the right hair dye here. According to professional hair colorists Scharzkopf (see sources), many women with pale skins tend to have blue green eyes, blue or green eyes. You are likely to blush easily and some of them actually have freckles.
Since your eyes are light colored and the skin might be peach colored, avoid hair colors with ashen tones in them. These will make you look washed out or like a walking zombie. Schwarzkopf recommends that your ideal hair dye options include “golden blonde, flaxen, honey blonde, golden brown, copper, warm light reddish tones like golden red or strawberry blonde.” You may also try medium brown and light brown tones on your pale skin and light blue eyes.
Blonde Hair for Pale Skin and Blue Eyes
Kate, writing for The Hairstyler acknowledges the fact that women of pale skin are likely to shy away from blonde hair. The reason is that for most pale skinned women, blonde dyes make them look a little washed out. However, when chosen carefully, you can actually dye your hair blond. Here are the general rules:
- Always choose a blonde hair color that will complement your eye color
- Shades of blonde that match your skin tone are also advised.
The Hairstyler recommend that cool blonde hair colors that go with pale skin are those usually described as sandy, platinum or creamy blonde. On the other hand, warm blonde hair colors that go well with women of pale skin are described as caramel, copper, honey and gold.
Best Hair Dye for Blue Eyes and Warm Skin Tone
What is the best hair color for blue eyes and warm skin tone? To the basics first – what is a warm skin tone? According to Nase Cometics, people with warm undertones are those who tan well as opposed to burning. If your natural hair is red or strawberry blonde, you generally have a warm skin tone. The same is likely for those with hazel and brown eyes. However, while these general rules are speculative, the vein test is the best for people with blue eyes to find out if they have warm skin. If your veins appear to have greenish undertones, you are warm skin toned.
So, what hair color is best for blue eyes and warm skin tone? Gold hair colors, yellow dyes, and shades of amber will be the best picks for blue eyes and warm skin tone. If you find out that your skin has some golden or yellowish hue, then hair colors that will look good on you are those in the middle of brown and blonde, but with golden overtones. Good picks would be honey blonde and light brown hair dye.
- According to Fahv Magazine, the best hair color for blue eyes and warm skin tone is simply in the range of golden and honey. These colors include golden brown shades, honey blonds and golden blonds.
- Other good hair color choices for blue eyes and warm skin tone you could wear are shades of auburn and chestnut. However, if you find these too plain, consider highlights. Wear cinnamon highlights on chestnut hair.
- Strawberry blond hair dye can also be great for enhancing blue eye color.
Good Hair Colors for Cool Skin Tones and Blue Eyes
What is the best hair color for cool skin tones and blue eyes? Let’s go back to the vein test, you are of cool undertones if you see blue veins on your wrist. Matching your skin tone and eye color with a good hair dye is also easy. You need to choose colors that are more natural looking.
Different shades of brown hair colors will work best for people of cool skin tones with brown eyes. For cool skin tones with blue veins, color ranges from platinum blonde to brown will look good on you. Try as much as possible to have your hair colorist stick to colors with either blue or silver overtones.
- Intense brown hues are good for blue eyes and cool undertones. However, avoid browns that have red undertones in them.
- Black hair color is a good one, only that it can be a little monotonous. Blonde shades will also work very well for cool skin and blue eyes.
- When you choose brown, go with wheat, ash or honey highlights.
- For the most flattering look like that of Courtney Cox and Megan Fox celebrities, wear dark chocolate in order to really highlight your eyes.
Pretty Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Light Skin
Celebrity hair colorist Rita Hazan who works with actresses and singers such as Jessica Simpson advices that “”The lighter your skin tone, the paler you can go with your hair.” Go for shades that will play up the undertones in your complexion and also highlight your eye color.
Platinum, champagne blonde and flaxen hues can be very flattering hair colors for light skin with blue eyes, but only if you have cool undertones in your skin. These are generally blue-based shades and you should try to stick to this range.
- Something worth considering is that if you go too dark, ensure that you work the same on your eyebrows in order to make them look naturally black. Dye your eyebrows a shade or two darker than your dark hair color.
Best Hair Color for Blue Eyes and Medium and Tan Skin Tone
Medium skin tones are very versatile. You can pull off so many hairstyles and colors with this complexion. If you have this skin, you can wear beautiful hues that create contrasting highlights to your hair.
WiseGeek recommends that “Hair color that goes well with medium skin may be in the blonde, brown, black or red groups.” In this case, blonde shades for tan skin can offer both warm and neutral choices for you. Avoid orange-based shades or ashy hues as these can make you look exhausted and unattractive.
Natural hair dyes that are considered unsuitable for medium skins are those in the red family. These include burgundy and purple undertones because they are cool toned. When choosing the best hair colors for medium skin and blue eyes, or tan skin and blue eyes, keep these facts in mind.
Cute Hair Color Ideas for Blue Eyes and Olive Skin
Do you have an olive skin? You are likely to have green undertones. A cute hair dye that will complement your undertones and blue eyes would be a shade of red. With red hair dyes, try to avoid a bold red as it will overshadow your eye color.
Recommendations of cute and pretty hair colors include auburn brunette and strawberry blondes. In the sense of cute hair colors for blue eyed women, copper tones are just the real answer. Your eyes will pop with copper tones in your hair around your face. You have seen actresses and celebrities with blonde hair and blue eyes play the trick with highlights so that they can have their eyes shine.
Actresses and Celebrities with Blue Eyes to Watch
Looking for hairstyle and coloring inspiration? Well, from dark hair colors for blue eyes to blonde hair and blue eyes, here are some celebrities you might want to watch for hair color choice and tips inspiration. Some of these may be flattering while others may come off a little off in their choices, but a look at them might help you find your best hair color for blue eyes whether you have a fair skin, light skin, pale skin, olive or even tan skin tone.
- Taylor Swift
- Cameron Diaz
- Christina Aguilera
- Kate Hudson
- Avril Lavigne
Bronze hues in hair dyes can be a bad choice for women with blue eyes and light, pale and fair skins. These will make you look haggard and tired. If you are unsure of what color to try, head straight to the salon and talk to your hair colorist to help you pick a color that will make you look pretty as you deserve.
- New Health Guide: Hair Colors for Blue Eyes
- Nese Cosmetics: What Skin Tone Are You? Warm, Cool or Neutral
- InStyle: Find the Best Hair Color for Your Skin Tone
- WiseGEEK: How Do I Choose the Best Hair Color for Medium Skin?
- Fashionisers: How to Choose the Best Hair Color for Your Skin Tone